Our third mission to Ishinomaki and Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, from Friday June 24 to Sunday June 26 takes place in collaboration with the British Chamber of Commerce in Japan.
- To meet with key contacts in the Ishinomaki business community; find out what they need to enable the re-opening / recovery of their businesses.
- To update our current needs list (available here), detailing 25 businesses, based on our findings.
- To distribute and spend JPY350,000 donated from BCCJ Member companies, on items requested by local business owners, using local suppliers.
- This includes JPY150,000 donated by the Royal Bank of Scotland.
- To deliver a Land Rover 4x4 multi-terrain vehicle, donated by Patrick of Tokyo International School, to the Ishinomaki business community.
- To conduct video interviews of female leaders from Ishinomaki and young female members of the community as an initial assessment for a female entrepreneurship capacity building program.
- To assess measurable and sustainable ways that British Chamber of Commerce in Japan member companies can support the recovery of Ishinomaki's business community.
- To identify products and services from the community which can be offered to consumers in Japan and around the world on our Relief 2.0 marketplace.
- To assess and reflect on the continuity of the shotengai businesses and how to enable them to transition into the 21st century without abandoning their traditions and values.
- To discuss a date for an art exhibit at the Ishinomaki manga museum with artwork of artists from Japan, USA, Switzerland and Latin America.
The Core Team Members
- Ms. Lori Henderson, Executive Director of the British Chamber of Commerce in Japan is joining us to personally deliver the resources and make a field assessment as well.
- Kyoko Tanaka, a seasoned volunteer who has done several trips and a number of interviews in Iwate will be documenting the trip.
- Masaharu Otsubo, Relief 2.0 local coordinator in Japan is coordinating the mission.
- Gabriel Nieto, volunteer.
- Damian Penston, Propel Consulting.
- Dylan Scudder, volunteer.
Friday 24 June
06:30 Leave Tokyo (Tamachi / Mita) for Ishinomaki
15:00 Arrive in Ishinomaki
Meet Abe-san - female leader of the local community
Meet (25) local business owners as listed here.
Meet Kato-san - head of Sendai YMCA
Saturday 25 June
08:00 Join daily meeting of local business owners
10:00 Meet Ito-san - head of Ishinomaki's Junior Chamber of Commerce
13:30 Drive to Sendai
15:00 Meet Kakizaki-san - head of TRUNK (creative agency)
16:30 Buy items from local suppliers, to take back to business owners in Ishinomaki
17:00 Drive back to Ishinomaki and deliver items
Sunday 26 June
10:00 Meet local business owners, and contacts introduced by personal networks:
- Cycle shop owner - Nakamura-san
- Travel agent
- Jane (JET)
- Shotengai shop owners
- Manga museum - Manager
- Board of Education - Cameron Peak
- Head of fisheries? - Sunou-san
- Central Kitchen - Peaceboat
15:00 Bus or car to Sendai > Shinkansen back to Tokyo
Donate now to support the mission through our on-line contribution page or sending a deposit to our bank account in Japan.
Click here for more information on our Business Recovery as a Disaster Recovery Strategy Pilot in Japan.